Sunday, June 30, 2013

Oz: The Great and Powerful

5 out of 10 stars

Cast
James Franco.............................Oz
Michelle Williams.........Annie/Glinda
Mila Kunis.........................Theodora
Rachel Weisz.....................Evanora


*****WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS*****


Okay, I would just like to start off by saying: THIS. IS NOT. A TIM BURTON MOVIE. Do not listen to what other people say. Tim Burton had absolutely no part in the making of this movie. It may look like a Tim Burton movie, but it's not. 

Which does lead me to say that this movie is weird. And I don't mean like disturbing-images-weird, but it's just.... weird. 

First of all, this movie is what they call "visually stimulating." And in the beginning, there is one moment where the colors look really cool. The very beginning of the movie is black and white because it is set in the very early 1900's. When Oz gets sucked into a giant tornado in his hot air balloon and gets thrown into the Land of Oz, everything turns to color and it does look quite nice. But for the rest of the movie, it's very... overdone. 





Also, there were parts of the movie that I didn't understand. If any of you are familiar with the story of Wicked, you know that Glinda is friends with Elphaba. Now this story takes place after Wicked but before the Wizard of Oz. If you noticed in the cast list, there is no Elphaba in the movie. Glinda's there and Oz is there but Elphaba is not. 

When I brought this up at work, one of my managers said how there are supposed to be four witches and only three are shown in the movie so maybe Elphaba was on vacation or something. And while that makes sense, Theodora becomes the "Wicked" Witch and Evanora is evil as well. So there are already two wicked witches without Elphaba, and I'm pretty sure there's supposed to be two good witches and two bad witches.

However, someone told me (and this may not be true) that this movie is supposed to be closer to the original story. I've never read the original story so I wouldn't know. I just thought the whole Elphaba thing was confusing.

Also, I thought the Wizard was named "The Wizard of Oz" because he resided in Oz. But in this movie, he's already named Oz. So I thought "maybe they name the land after him then." But no, when Oz crash-lands his hot air balloon, Theodora is like "Welcome to Oz" or something and I was like "so they're both already named Oz....." Of course, in the movie, the three witches mention some kind of prophecy but it was never very well explained so I was extremely confused throughout the whole movie. 

One other thing, this is a "kids" movie but there are some freaky images in this movie. If you were scared of the flying monkeys in "The Wizard of Oz," you're going to be scared of them in this movie as well.

And as for the actors, well....



I just... I didn't like James Franco's character in this film. And I know that in the beginning, you're not supposed to like him because he's selfish, greedy, etc. But even at the end, I wasn't really feeling it. And personally, Franco just seemed.... awkward in the role of Oz. I don't know, it just didn't feel right. 



Now as the title of this blog suggests, I am very biased. I really like Michelle Williams so she was probably my favorite actor in this movie. This film is similar to the film "The Wizard of Oz" in the sense that some of the characters from the "real world" cross over to the land of Oz. Michelle Williams plays Annie in the beginning of the film. Annie, unlike Oz, is sweet and kind. So in Oz, she is portrayed as Glinda the Good Witch. 

I thought Michelle Williams did a good job in playing Glinda. I thought she captured Glinda's kind of airy personality. She was very much like the White Queen from the new Alice in Wonderland. 



Mila Kunis was probably my second favorite actor in this film. I thought she did an excellent job of playing Theodora who started out as an innocent, curious girl, but because of her sister, she was turned into an evil witch. 

Kunis really captured Theodora's wonder and awe when she first meets Oz when he crash-lands. However, she also perfected Theodora's jealousy and anger when she finds out Oz is with Glinda. Well done Mila, well done.



In this movie, you are supposed to strongly dislike Rachel Weisz's character and I followed through on that thoroughly. Basically, Evanora is Theodora's jerk face older sister who is controlling and wants all the power to herself. 

I did feel, though, that Rachel Weisz did a fine job of playing Evanora. She made me hate her character, which I think is a feat for any actor. I don't know I always wondered if it was hard for some actors to play characters that everyone is supposed to hate. Either way, Rachel Weisz did a good job in this movie. 

But as for the movie overall, I just wasn't liking it. It's kind of supposed to be a kids movie but I don't think it falls under that category. Yet, it's not an adult movie either. I didn't really understand what the target audience was for this movie. As a whole it was just kind of odd and I didn't really understand it. 

And personally, I thought it would've been cool if it ended with Dorothy coming in and killing one of the witches. But alas, that didn't happen. 

No one appreciates my ideas. 







Sources
Images-Google
Cast-IMDb

No comments:

Post a Comment